An unmissable Gravel Weekender
The MAAP Beechworth Granite Classic rides as a love letter to the dirt roads surrounding Beechworth, in North East Victoria’s High Country on the lands of the Dhudhuroa, Wayrurru and Bpangerang people.
We spend four seasons living these routes; on undulating private farm lanes, bush tracks, fire roads or the famed ‘Champagne de Pilot’ - Scheming and dreaming on this course with a view to sharing the full gamut of the Beechworth gravel experience, with all the features and flair that come with an event made by local riders.
Sure, we may be biased, but we believe the gravel riding here is truly sublime. Each road brings a varied and inspiring adventure; from the winding red-clay-hard-pack and sub-alpine rainforest of Mount Stanley to the, faster than bitumen, granitic roads of Pilot and Barambogie forests and everything between. No matter how you cut it, this is a gravel-lovers paradise.
Is it a race?
BGC is a strictly podium-free affair, not a race in the traditional sense - We’ll be celebrating the achievements of all participants; Wanna chew your stem in the breakaway? We feel you. Wanna ride party pace with your friends, soaking up our famous feed zone vibes? Us too! Just trying to finish without feeling like a bag of old potatoes? Preach! We pride ourselves on championing diversity and inclusion and above all, providing an exceptional (and fun!) experience for YOU no matter where you are on your gravel journey. And we believe these guiding principles, make gravel events and their surrounding community the BEST.
Look forward to riding with you all!
The Bridge Road Brewers team
Friday April 19
A Shake Down Ride
- Join us as we warm up those legs with a casual 20km mixed surface loop around Beechworth
- Ride leaves from and returns to 43 High St (Bridge Road Brewers carpark)
- 5pm departure.
- This unsupported ride is approximately 90 minutes.
- Social Pace / No drop.
- Front and rear lights suitable for off-road riding are essential
Friday 19 April
Handmade Bicycle Show Australia Presents:
Bikes in the Brewhouse
The legends from HBSA will be sharing a sneak peak of their 2024 Show with us. Select frame makers and builders will showcase their wares in the Bridge Road Brewhouse.
So grab dinner, a drink and join us, as we marvel at the beautiful steeds on show. The evening will also act as pre-BGC registration and rider pack collection.
- Bar + dinner available (details TBC).
- Entry via 43 High St, Beechworth in the BRB carpark.
- Early Registration and Rider Pack collection for Saturday’s event.
- Free Admission.
- Bikes in the Brewhouse and Registration open from 6-9pm Friday, 19 April 2024.
Saturday 20 April
The MAAP Beechworth Granite Classic
2024’s routes take in a re-imagined combo of surfaces and landscapes in this low-key gravel Mecca. We believe that the best gravel courses throw it all at you, striking the balance between technical, challenging, fun, fast and photo-worthy. The iconic farm sectors will return.
Our friends, Rapid Ascent, will be managing the ride component of BGC, keeping you supported, safe, and well-signed out there on course.
15km / approx 180m vert / 10:30am
45 km / approx 600m vert / 9:30am
90km / approx 1300m vert / 8:30am
115km / approx 1600m vert / 7:30am
- Course routes will be published the week of the event.
- All rides are loops that start and finish at the Beechworth Historic Precinct Reserve.
- All rides are fully supported and managed by Rapid Ascent.
- Registration opens in the village at 6:30 am.
- Food and coffee are available pre and post-event in the village (details TBC).
- All-day parking is available near the village (please observe signs).
Saturday 20 April
Shimano + Life In The Peloton Present:
A Dinner for Granite Legends
Join your host, Mitch Docker, as we share war stories from the day’s ride at a dinner party in the Beechworth Memorial Hall. You’ll dine on a restorative and delicious 3-course menu by the Bridge Road Brewers team. To top it all off, Mitch will do candid Q and As with Australian cycling luminaries TBC.
Previous guests have included, Simon Gerrans, Richie Porte and Gracie Elvin (as pictured) and Paul Van der ploeg
Not to be missed!
- Doors at 5:30pm - First Course at 6pm - Event finishes around 9pm.
- Beechworth Memorial Hall is located at 101 Ford Street.
Sunday 21 April
Official Recovery Rides
Tired legs and heavy head?
Choose from 3 x 30ish km social gravel loops, each taking in different aspects of the Beechworth riding experience.
- NOTE: These recovery rides are unsupported.
- All recovery rides will depart from the Beechworth Historic Precinct Reserve.
- All rides are to depart from the Beechworth Historic Precinct Reserve at 10 am and will return between 11:30 and 12 pm.
Beechworth is a 3 hour drive from Melbourne via the M31 Hume Freeway. Take the Great Alpine Road B500 to Tarrawingee and the C315 to Beechworth.
Sydney is a 6 hour drive to Beechworth via the M31 Hume Freeway to Wodonga, then follow the signs to Beechworth on the C315.
Albury airport is about 50 minutes from Beechworth. Qantas, REX (Regional Express) and Virgin operate several flights daily from Melbourne and Sydney. Check airline websites for current flight information. Hire cars are available from Albury Airport.
Rail services run daily from Melbourne and Sydney to Wangaratta and Albury. View VLine and NSW TrainLink XPT for timetable information.
VLine also operates regular coach service from Melborne, Wangaratta and Bright. View timetables at www.vline.com.au.
Where to stay
Beechworth has an abundance of accomodation available to suit all budgets. All of it is within a walk / short ride from the start line. In the case that town is at capacity (which does happen!) there are a plethora of accommodation options in surrounding towns : Yackandandah, Chiltern, Myrtleford, Wangaratta, Albury/Wodonga and Bright.
Motels / Hotels
A list of Accom providers here: https://www.explorebeechworth.com.au/accommodation-search